Wednesday, June 17, 2015

I Met My Old Self in Napa Valley

Have you ever been something so long that you start to forget who you truly are? I am sure moms feel this. They have been a mom for so long that they forget what it feels like to just be a woman. Or you have been a part of a team so long that you forget how to be an individual. Well that is me now. I have been trying for so long to shape myself into a responsible adult, that I have lost my old carefree self. On a recent trip to California, I caught a glimpse of who I once was, though. 

Last month, I left my hubby for a huge two week adventure across the country. The word epic might have been thrown out a few times. Lol. I did a road trip from Atlanta to Utah (post about that coming soon), did a work retreat at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, then continued to California for a little relaxation in Sacramento before I headed to a marketing conference in Santa Monica. 

For a week, it was just me, a rental car, and lots of the state to explore. I love to drive and see the scenery speed by as I sing from the top of my lungs going down the highway. And a lot of it I saw. 
As I drove and drove, I got a weird feeling of freedom. A full week of exploring a new state that I had never really seen. It was exciting and the anticipation was running through my veins. I was lucky that I had a full weekend made longer by Memorial Day to really take in the sights of Sacramento, which was my first stop. I planned to meet one friend in the area, but other than that, I was free to do whatever. 

During the weekend, I saw Old Sacramento with its kitschy old west look, I went to UC Davis to explore for little sister who is going to college soon, and I had dinner with an old friend. It was great. I literally fell in love with the city and the cool vibe I got from being a tourist. 

And then I went to Napa...


I don't think there is a word big enough to express the love that I have for Napa. It went beyond the wineries and the beautiful scenery. My love came from a group of people I met there who I can only describe as spiritual soul mates. As I was alone on my California adventure, I decided to put on my big bow of fun and make the most of wine country. As you all probably know by now, I LOVE wine! Hell, I even have a whole section of my blog specifically about it. The intention was to do lots of wine tasting, buy lots of wines, and just enjoy some time as a single traveler. Not what happened.

What they don't tell you about Napa wine tastings is that you drink a lot of wine! Yes, they are sample pours, but when you opt for the tasting package that lets you sample ten wines, you are going to get a bit tipsy. (Probably a huge rookie move. Lol) And this was at my FIRST WINERY! Needless to say, I needed food to get me through the rest of the day. Luckily, Napa has this great downtown area where there is food, shops, and lots of tasting rooms that you can walk to, so that is where I headed. 

I walk into a Mexican restaurant to get my nosh on. I sit down at the bar and destiny stepped in after that. As I sit down, the lady beside me gives me a very enthusiastic "Hello." As a person who travels alone, I am always up for a good conversation with a stranger, so I greet her back. We start a lively conversation and soon we are joined by her husband. Within an hour, we are best friends. We are laughing and talking about our lives. We are wrapping up and getting ready to pay when the woman invites me to join them to another restaurant with a rooftop bar. I am game, so I tag along. 

Over the course of the next NINE HOURS, our trio expands to a group of seven. All strangers, from all parts of the country, with different backgrounds, and all different ages. And we are all head over heels in love with each other. We took our party from the bar, to a tapas restaurant, to the streets of Napa, to another bar. We talked, laughed, and shared our lives with each other for the whole day. And it was the best time of my life. 

I called hubby as I was driving back to my Airbnb and told him that I had not felt that good in years. I felt like myself again in a matter of hours. I let myself be Crystal. Funny, spontaneous, energetic, and carefree. Somehow I lost that woman years ago. I missed her. She was fun. She was the person who I wanted to show the world. That old Crystal was my hero. She was not afraid of new situations. She was always the first person to meet strangers and suggest new ideas. Where had she gone? 

I left Napa that night with a new determination to let that Crystal shine more. I also left with connections to seven people who I am so happy to have met. I believe that everyone you meet has been destined by God. Whether in Napa or in their hometowns, I want to see them again so we can have another great day together. 

Here are a few pics of my wonderful day in Napa Valley. 

Old Sacramento or the Wild Wild West?
UC Davis - Home of the Aggies
Vinoce Vineyards 
A very blurry pic of four of my Napa Valley friends

Talk later!
Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment