Friday, October 3, 2014

Bucket List #31 - Elope in Vegas...Uh Savannah (The Day of Our Wedding)

Wow, I am telling you. Time flies around here. Work has kept me so busy that I forgot to finish the story of our elopement. My apologies...so here is the final installment of "How Hubby and I Crazily Eloped."
________________________________________________________________________________

Get Engaged to Marry...Check!

Decide to Elope...Check!

Do Majority of Wedding Planning...Check!

Off to Savannah to Get Married!!!

So here we are, finally in Savannah for a week for our elopement. During this week, Hubby and I planned on doing some sightseeing, finishing some wedding planning details, and getting married, all while I was working full time remotely. Yeah, easy enough, right? 

We check into our beautiful Airbnb suite. Can I say that I have never even had a hotel room this nice. We were in our own wing of this huge historic house with a large bedroom and a grand bathroom. Words can't even describe...see the Airbnb listing here

The beautiful home we stayed in. Our room was overlooking the park. 
The week went really well. In between taking conference calls and staying on top of work (this was literally the busiest time at work), I did some wedding errands, took in the sites of Savannah, and truthfully, just had fun times with my love.

So here we are the day of the wedding and I wake up frazzled. In all of my planning and fun during the week, I still had to find shoes, a bustier for my dress, and needed to get my nails done. UGH! And anyone who has seen me frazzled knows that that eventually leads to me being an angry, grumpy, witch. Poor Hubby. I spent the morning running around to store after store like a chicken with my head cut off and at the same time complaining to him about all that was wrong. This went on until I finally had a meltdown, complete with tears because I had run out of time and did not have time to get my nails done. Not proud of this moment, but it happened.

So Hubby sat me down, told me everything would be ok, then proceeded to paint my toenails for me. It was the best part of the day and it definitely did the trick. It wasn't the best pedicure that I have received, but it was given with no much concentration and love that it was the most special thing ever.

After Hubby calmed me down, I thought to myself, "This day is meant to be stress free. If everything is not perfect, it is ok. Just enjoy it."

The time had come to get dressed and go to the chapel. Hubby and I quietly got ready, with me doing my hair and makeup while he showered and started dressing. I still wanted that element of surprise though, so before I put my dress on, I kicked him out of the room and made him go downstairs to wait on me.

Putting on that dress was again one of those moments when I wished I had my mom with me to primp and make sure that my dress was perfect. Plus the zipper was really long and I needed someone to help me into that sucker...lol. So after struggling with the zipper and glaring at myself in the mirror, I walked downstairs to the man who would be my husband. The look on his face when he saw me was amazing. He gave me the biggest, goofiest smile I have ever seen. There were also some ladies who worked in an office in the historic house we were staying in who also saw me and clapped. It was a special moment.

We proceeded to the chapel to get married. Instead of describing it, I will just show you some pics of the ceremony.







After the ceremony, we had our "reception" at Vic's on the River on River Street in Savannah. If you have read my blog by now, you know I LOVE food and wine, so let me tell you that this place was AMAZING! Everyone smiled at us when we came in in our wedding attire and the piano player played "Hear Comes the Bride" when we walked in. Nice touch! And because my boss at work knew I was getting married, she sent us a wonderful bottle of champagne to celebrate. How she remembered where we were going for dinner or how she knew the perfect champagne is beyond me, but she is just sweet!


What is a reception without music and dancing?! It was really time to celebrate, so we went over to Savannah Smiles Dueling Piano Bar where we spent the night being celebrated by perfect strangers, being filled to the brim with free drinks, and dancing until we were giddy. By the end of the night, we were totally drunk, totally happy, and totally ready for bed. We hailed a cab back to our Airbnb and fell asleep within minutes. Needless to say, we did not consummate our marriage that night, which I hear is quite common for newlyweds. 

In summary, Hubby and I took control over what could have been a stressful situation - a wedding - and made it into something that we will remember forever. Sure, it was unconventional and went against everything our families wanted, but in the end, it made us happy and everyone should appreciate that. Do I plan on doing something later that is a bit more elaborate? Hmmm, maybe for our five year anniversary. But for now, I will remember my pedicure, my beautiful dress, and the man who was there for the entire journey. 

For any bride who is considering eloping, I would say to think hard about it. It is a personal decision and I would not suggest it for everyone. Think about what makes you and your future husband happy and take it from there. Whether a wedding or an elopement, just be happy. 

Talk later!
Crystal


No comments:

Post a Comment